Duties And Responsibilities An Executive Chef Needs To Perform And How To Become One?
Over the last few years, commercial cookery courses have become highly popular among Australian students. These VET courses help students get a position of a professional chef in different workplace settings after studying for less than 2 years. For example, if you attend Certificate III in Commercial Cookery, you will need to study for only one year to get a decent job position. This blog discusses a professional chef’s various duties and responsibilities and how you can follow them to become a professional.
What Duties And Responsibilities Do You Have To Fulfil As A Professional Cook?
As a commercial cook, you will be responsible for preparing creative and innovative cuisine of the highest quality, grandly presenting them in banquets, dining rooms, and other food facilities aimed at maximum guest satisfaction.
In addition, you will also need to oversee the different kitchen operations and other managing areas like stock, profit, hygiene practices, wastage control, and training within the kitchen.
Attending chef training courses will help you learn all duties and responsibilities an executive chef needs to perform.
- An executive chef will need to train, develop, and motivate culinary staff and supervisors to satisfy various food preparation standards consistently.
- The chef must teach other cooks how to prepare food according to different recipes and develop different ideas to improve the cuisine.
- As an executive chef, you will have to display excellent leadership skills by providing a suitable work environment, demonstrating a professional and dedicated approach to work management, and counseling your staff to help them grow as a professional cook.
- An executive chef needs to look after the daily operations in the kitchen.
- Employees are the foundational pillars of an organization. As a leader, the executive chef has to understand the job roles of the employees. It will help them fulfill the gap when an employee is absent and replace specific individuals with more appropriate ones.
- The executive chef is responsible for providing guidance and direction to their subordinates. They must set different performance standards and consistently monitor the performance of their junior colleagues.
- Another important duty is to utilize communication and interpersonal skills to lead and motivate kitchen staff.
- Because the position of an executive chef is managerial or supervisory, they can help the authority in making important business decisions. Besides, they should demonstrate integrity, and honesty and set an example of a true leader.
- Without customer satisfaction, a restaurant or a hotel, or a banquet hall business cannot run smoothly. As leading individuals, executive chefs need to support service behaviors that are beyond customer satisfaction.
- Executive chefs must focus on improving service, which they can do by consistently communicating with the staff and assisting them in understanding guest requirements, and providing essential guidance and feedback on their service.
- If you are placed in the position, it will be your responsibility to guide subordinates and supervisors to fulfill defined business goals and objectives.
- Constant review of staffing levels is needed to make sure the operational needs, guest service, and financial objectives are met.
- The executive chefs are expected to get actively involved in menu preparation and development and maintain accurate and updated costing of all the food items prepared and sold to the customers.
- The presentation of food is one of the most vital factors that contribute to customer satisfaction. As an executive chef, you will need to determine how food should be presented in your food facility center.
- If you want to provide your customer with a better food experience, you will need to prepare food of the highest quality and grandly present them. For that, superior quality products are required. An executive chef has to keep an eye on whether the materials of desired quality are constantly supplied.
- It will be the duty of an executive chef to maintain compliance with sanitation and food handling standards.
- For all food products, proper handling and correct temperature levels must be followed.
- As the position of an executive chef is a much higher position, the person assigned to it has to make sure all kitchen equipment is properly maintained and follows hotel and local health department standards.
- They have also to make sure that all products are prepared regularly and satisfy different quality standards.
- All kitchen staff must be properly groomed to maintain compliance with specific hygiene standards. In addition, they have also to maintain necessary sanitation and food handling certifications. An executive chef has to look after all these things.
- The staff needs to meet proper receiving, purchasing, production, and food storage standards in the kitchen, and it is the executive chef’s responsibility to ensure this.
- As the staff supervisor, executive chefs need to interact with the guests to know their feedback on food quality and services. If the guests face any problem, they need to sort it out and find an effective solution by discussing it with the other staff.
- Having sufficient staff is important for consistent business operations. An executive staff has to make sure there is enough staff to meet various business demands.
- Ensuring all possible safety procedures for all kitchen staff is one of the crucial responsibilities.
- As the position of an executive chef is an administrative position, they have to attend important meetings and executive sessions. For the same reason, they can be requested to perform additional duties by the hotel management.
You may also like: Reasons why the demand for cookery courses is increasing
What qualities are needed to become an executive chef?
Following are the prerequisites to becoming an executive chef, which you can learn while attending chef training courses.
- Displaying leadership in guest hospitality by providing excellent customer service.
- Having the ability to look at various food and beverage aspects differently
What professional skills and qualifications do you need?
- You must have excellent English writing and speaking skills.
- Knowing computer programming is necessary.
- A certificate of Advanced Diploma of Hospitality from a Perth college will be required.
- As this is a higher job position, you must have years of experience in hospitality management or cookery.
Hospitality courses in Perth are available in different VET colleges. These colleges provide top-quality infrastructure and recruit highly qualified faculty to train students. Before you join, make sure you check all the course details on the college website.